Monday, October 12, 2009

Atlanta Greek Festival

Opa!

Despite being an Atlanta native, I had never actually attended the Atlanta Greek Festival before this year. It was held a couple weekends ago at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral on Clairmont Rd. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap fall activity.

My favorite aspect of the event was the FOOD! So much delicious food to choose from! We started off with roasted potatoes and a lamb sandwich (there was even a fire pit where they were roasting a lamb), followed by a BAKLAVA SUNDAE! Brilliant! If you're not familiar with baklava, it's a pastry made of philo dough, honey, and chopped nuts. Hard to go wrong with those ingredients...The baklava sundae was just crushed baklava over vanilla ice cream. Delish!

As if that wasn't enough eating, we decided to follow up with Greek coffee and Loukoumades, doughnut-like fritters with honey and cinnamon (again, hard to go wrong!). Greek coffee is sweet and strong, a little too sweet for my tastes, but it went well with the Loukoumades. Watch out for the coffee grounds at the bottom of the cup!

There was, of course, plenty of entertainment at the event. They had a band (called Alpha-Omega, I believe) on the main stage and everyone was invited to get up and dance. You could definitely tell who was Greek, as the steps looked pretty complicated...I took a couple videos-- will post them later today along with some photos.

If you missed the Atlanta Greek Festival this year, never fear! There will be a Greek festival in Cumming, GA next weekend (October 17-18th): http://www.cumminggreekfestival.com/ . Should be a fun time!

1 comment:

  1. I've never been to the Greek Festival either. But I did go to a wedding there. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." -Carl Spackler

    ReplyDelete